How can i lessen my fear of death/dying?

Now that I'm getting older, I've started fearing death/dying MUCH more. I realize that this fear only makes my life harder, but I just can't help it. Especially at night, when all is quiet, this fear often consumes me. How can I lessen this fear? Any tips?

Is It Normal?
Help us keep this site organized and clean. Thanks!
[ Report Post ]
Comments ( 9 ) Sort: best | oldest
  • Try and not think about death too often.

    Comment Hidden ( show )
  • First off... you are already dying. Typically its a 60 - 90 year process.

    So why be afraid of death itself. There is no avoiding it.

    Most commonly its the fear of premature death that bothers you. Then you need to figure out why.

    Is it because you may not have the chance to fulfill your life goals?

    Is it because you won't be able to support your loved ones?

    And many more possible reasons.

    We as a people often cannot accomplish all of our life goals. Live itself interferes with that even if you don't die. Get used to that as a possibility... because it's also something you cannot change.

    I've heard of people who as very young adults freeze sperm and eggs so that they could have a child some day if they die early. The news occasionally has stories about such sperm and eggs being used after someone has died just to fulfill their wish for children.

    The purpose of Life Insurance is to be able to take care of your loved ones in the event of your untimely death. My opinion is that everyone should have enough to get their spouse and children at least through a few years so they can transition to something else, if you cannot afford to buy enough life insurance to take care of them for most of their life (or until children are adults and perhaps through college).

    If you have a dream or cause good enough and get other people involved in it... those other people often will complete that dream for you after you have passed on.

    Think about these things... and the possible options.

    I wish you well with this

    Comment Hidden ( show )
  • If you hate your life, you won't fear dying. In fact you'll look forward to it.

    Comment Hidden ( show )
  • I stopped fearing death when I realised there was nothing I could do about it ergo fear is pointless.

    Comment Hidden ( show )
  • I have found myself in a particularly scary scenario. I may not be old, but I'm scared of dying. I was recently told I have a 73% chance of surviving my predicament with proper treatment but a 27% chance of dying is anxiety inducing.

    If you find anything that helps, let me know.

    Comment Hidden ( show )
  • Bro if u find some tips send them to me as well cause i am terrified too since i was 8.

    Comment Hidden ( show )
  • Read this essay about death by my favorite philosopher Alan Watts: https://medium.com/@bansalharsh/acceptance-of-death-by-alan-watts-294384c99287

    Comment Hidden ( show )
  • I used to be scared of death, I still am but now every night when the thought of that inevitability pops into my head the fear of it happening is replaced with the the curiosity of what comes next and if there is anything next. Sometimes I wonder if hell would be scarier than not existing at all.

    I don't think it will ever not be scary but I think as our bodies become less capable of function and old age makes living a strain in itself that we become more ready to be given the answer to that age old question.

    Comment Hidden ( show )
  • The realization that everyone dies.

    That helps me though those feelings. Its natural but you have the benefit of forethought about what you can do before it happens.

    Comment Hidden ( show )
Add A Comment